1. Immediately after forming ICAB, the Board of Directors took up the
issue of expatriates’ voting rights.
On May 18, 2006, a delegation of Directors conferred with the Bangladesh Consulate General in New York, Quazi Imtiaz Ahmed, over lunch, and on May 23, 2006 with the Permanent Representative to the U.N., Dr. Iftekhar A. Chowdhury, over dinner on expatriate voting right.
On May 28, 2006, the Directors held a news conference to explain the mission and objectives of ICAB.
ICAB Press Conference
On May 30, 2006, a delegation of Directors held a dinner meeting with the visiting Member of the Parliament Advocate Khondker Mahbubuddin Ahmed, Chairman, Law and Parliamentary Affairs Committee on voting right issue.
Dr. Yunus reception
4. On December 10, 2006, ICAB organized a seminar with Bengali media editors based in New York to discuss the then uncertain political situation in the country.
Open discussion forum for media editors on Political Issues in Bangladesh.
5. On February 1, 2007, ICAB sent a letter to the Chief Adviser of present caretaker government emphasizing the need for establishing independent and accountable Judiciary, Bureau of Anticorruption, Election Commission and Public Service Commission as well as decentralization of administration for a workable democracy in Bangladesh.
ICAB meeting with Bangladesh Consulate General in New York.
6. On February 18, 2007, ICAB arranged free services for expatriate Bangladeshis on immigration and income tax filing in the Jamaica Muslim Center, N.Y. ICAB Director, Attorney Taufiq Choudhury provided counseling on immigration issues, and ICAB Advisor, Syed Nurul Hague, CPA advised attendees on income tax filing.
7. On June 1, 2007, ICAB hosted a dinner reception to Dr. Abul Hussam, the recipient of 2007 Grainger Challenge Gold Award of $1 million for developing the SONO filters system that efficiently removes arsenic from water.
ICAB recognized Dr. Hussam
A partial view of audience in Dr. Hussam’s reception.
8. In its Council meeting on April 29, 2007, ICAB established a Tk. 100, 000 annual award for excellence in investigative journalism in Bangladesh, which is to commence from 2007. In this meeting it was also resolved to establish an “ICAB Foundation” in order to support the above award and other philanthropic and humanitarian activities which ICAB will undertake in future.
ICAB Board Meeting
9. On November 18, 2007, ICAB organized a seminar on “Contemporary Political Issues in Bangladesh”. A distinguished scholar and an expert on Southeast Asian government and politics, Dr. Syed Serajul Islam, a Professor and the Chairman of the Department of Political Science, Lakehead University, Canada, was the keynote speaker.
Dr. Serajul Islam's seminar
10. On June 18, 2008 ICAB awarded its first annual prize of taka 100,000 for excellence in investigative journalism in Bangladesh in 2007. The award recipient was Munni Saha, a senior reporter of ATN Bangla Television.
The awarding ceremony itself took place at the National Press Club, Dhaka and ICAB Chairman Mohammed Saleh and its Director Sayed Tipu Sultan travelled to Bangladesh for the occassion. The ceremony was joined by Honorable Mostafa Kamal (former Chief Justice of Bangladesh) as the chief guest, and Professor Abdullah Abu Sayeed (Chief - Bishwa Shahitta Kendraw) and Selina Hossain, (renowned poet-writer) as special guests. In addition, a number of other dignitaries such as, Abdul Matin (Bhasha Matin), Professor Dr. A A S M Arefin Siddique, Professor Shaikh Abdus Salam (current Chairman of Journalism, Dhaka University) and many others were present for the occasion.
The ceremony was covered by all major print and electronic media in Bangladesh.
Journalist Award 2007
11. On Saturday December 6, 2008 ICAB had a "Get Together Dinner" at 6:30 PM at Akbar Restaurant in Long Island, New York.
At this dinner party three distinguished Bangladeshi Americans were recognized. These individuals were: Hassan Askari for his civic sense and extraordinary bravery, Osman Chowdhury for his exemplary honesty and integrity, and Nafees Bin Zafar for his excellence and remarkable professionalism in software engineering.
12. On January 10, 2009 ICAB awarded its second annual prize of taka 100,000 for excellence in investigative journalism in Bangladesh in 2008. This year there were two recipients, Mamun Ur Rashid, a senior reporter of the daily Janakantha, and Anis Alamgir, chief news editor of RTV, who shared the ICAB prize.
Journalist Award 2008
The awarding ceremony took place at the National Press Club, Dhaka, and was attended by ICAB Executive Director, Mahfuz R. Chowdhury, and Finance Director, Mohsin U. Patwary. A number of dignitaries joined the ceremony as special guests, which included Dr. A A S M Arefin Siddique (Vice-Chancellor Dhaka University), Dr. Hafiz G. A. Siddiqi ( Vice-Chancellor North South University), Dr. Mesbahuddin Ahmed (Professor Dhaka Unirsity), Abdul Matin (Bhasa Matin), and Abed Khan (Chief Editor of Samakal). The Honorable Abul Kalam Azad, Information Minister of Bangladesh, was scheduled to join the ceremony as chief guest, but was detained elsewhere and couldn't arrive on time.
Post award Lunch
The ceremony was covered by major print and electronic media in Bangladesh.
13. ICAB, in collaboration with the American Association of Bangladeshi Engineers and Architects (AABEA), arranged an Interactive Discussion on Tipaimukh Project in Manipur State of India, and its possible effect on Bangladesh on Sunday July 26, 2009 at 6 P.M. at the Jewish Center of Jackson Heights, New York.
14. On December 4, 2010 ICAB hosted an award ceremony for Investigative Journalism (both print and electronic media), and Essay Competition (both Bengali and English) at VIP Hall, Dhaka Reporters Unit, Segunbagicha, Dhaka. The ceremony was presided over by Dr. Mesbahuddin Ahmed, Vice-Chancellor of Jagannath University, attended by ICAB Finance Director, Dr. Mohsin Patwary, and it was graced by Hon. Bangladesh Minister for Information and Cultural Affairs, Mr. Abul Kalam Azad, as chief guest, and Dr. AAMS Arefin Siddque, Vice-Chancellor of Dhaka University and Dr. Hafiz G.A. Siddiqi, Vice-Chancellor of North South University, as special guests. There were a total of 14 awards, including monetary prizes, given to the winners at this ceremony.